8 thoughts on “C49 – Ostrander

  1. If you had more time with your project, what other experiments would you do to further understand your results?

    1. Hey Alexis. For the future, I would repeat the primer selection PCR to determine the experimental error that led to the primer not annealing to the gDNA. Also, I still want to Identify the role of Badcp in the cell and determine why gene expression increases in hours after conjugation. Although Badcp does not participate in DNA damage repair, I still would want to understand what this protein does do in the cell. I would want to observe the specific times that the gene expression increases and correlate that to the gene expression of other known proteins.

    1. Hi Izzie,Thank you for thinking about that.
      This was an issue that stumped my group and I because we were definitely expecting a band for gDNA, especially if we got a band for the cDNA. I believe that it is possible that we did not load something into that specific well, or that we forgot to load that well altogether. We are not sure what went wrong, but we would benefit from repeating the procedure to determine what went wrong. The most likely conclusion is that we did not set up the PCR correctly.

    1. Hi Yana, thank you for your question.
      The gene-specific primers were identified using the website Primer3Plus that analyzed the coding sequence of the gene, which was acquired from the website Blast. The primer set was selected using information from Primer3Plus based off of some empirical conditions that could help predict the stability of the primer set.

    1. Hi Evan,
      That’s a great question! It is possible that we did not load something into that well, or that we forgot to load that well altogether. We are not sure what went wrong, but we are eager to figure it out! In the future, it might be beneficial for us to repeat the procedure to determine what went wrong. But at this stage, it appears that we likely did not set up the PCR correctly.

Leave a Reply