Information for Students Participating in the Spring 2023 CURE Symposium
The Spring 2023 CURE Symposium will be held online on Wednesday, May 3, 2023 from 6 – 9 pm.
6 pm – 7 pm Poster Evaluations
7 pm – 8 pm Student Oral Presentations
9 pm Poster Comment Boxes Close
Student responsibilities (see details below):
- Prepare and upload a PDF file of your poster and a file of your video presentation,
- Evaluate four posters during the one-hour poster session (6-7 pm on May 3),
- Attend the oral presentations remotely (7-8 pm on May 3), and
- Answer questions about your poster presentation from your evaluators and the general audience (8-9 pm on May 3, unless prior arrangements have been made with your instructor)
1. Presenting your poster: You will be recording a poster presentation that is no more than five minutes long. Please use Zoom screen share to record your presentation to your computer or to the cloud, which can be accessed through the CU Zoom website. Your camera should be turned on so the video captures both the poster along with you presenting it. You should inform your instructor of any issues you have with recording your presentation. Your video (.mov and .mp4 files preferred) and poster file must be uploaded to the Google Drive poster and presentation video folders by Friday, April 28 at 5 pm. Your instructors may have a different date so please verify this information with your course instructors.
All posters will be presented individually. For example, if your research project was completed by a group of students, there will be multiple presentations of your poster. Your poster presentation video will be uploaded for you to the CURE Symposium website and will be available to the audience and evaluators during the poster sessions.
2. Evaluating your assigned posters: You will be evaluating four posters produced by students in other research-based courses in MCDB. Your assignments can be found on the Peer Review Assignments spreadsheet. Please click on YOUR class tab at the bottom of the page, and look for your poster number and name. You were assigned four presentations to evaluate in the row with your name on the spreadsheet distributed by your instructors. Evaluation forms can be completed on mobile or PC. Use this link to complete your evaluations.
If any of the posters you are asked to evaluate is not linked on the CURE Symposium website, choose a different poster to evaluate from the same course. Links to poster videos will be available on the CURE Symposium website.
Listen to the presenter and complete the form including your name, the name of the presenter, and the poster number. Please be thoughtful in your assessment and provide constructive feedback. You are required to provide brief written feedback to justify your scoring. All evaluations become part of the students’ grades. It is not helpful to simply rate everyone’s posters as ‘excellent’ or to provide no feedback explaining your ratings. Your instructor may choose to deduct points from your poster if your submitted evaluations are incomplete. Evaluations are due by 7 pm on Wednesday, May 3, 2021
You should also leave a question for each presenter in the comments section of their page. Presenters will respond to your comments after the poster session.
3. Attending the oral presentations: The poster session will close at 7 pm. At that time, you will attend the oral presentations remotely via Zoom (pre-register when the link is available). You will be expected to register for the Symposium to receive credit for attending. The oral presentation session will begin promptly at 7 pm. One ten-minute talk for each of the four research-based courses represented at the CURE Symposium will be presented. Five minutes will be allowed for questions after each talk. You can raise your hand to ask a question or enter the question in the Q&A section of the meeting. Please be attentive with your audio muted during the talks.
4. Answering questions about your poster: Each evaluator will be asking a question about your presentation in a comment box associated with your presentation video on the Symposium website. Your responses are required before 9 pm on Wednesday, May 3 2023 (this deadline may be modified by your instructor). Responses will be entered into the comments section of your poster’s page. Instructors will view all comment sections to assess the quality of both questions and the responses.