Information for Students Participating in the Fall 2021 CURE Symposium
The Fall 2021 CURE Symposium will be held online on Wednesday, December 8, 2021 from 6 – 9 pm.
6 pm – 7 pm Poster Evaluations
7 pm – 8 pm Student Oral Presentations – (Zoom link will be provided – registration is required)
8 pm Research Awards Ceremony
9 pm Poster Comment Boxes Close
Student responsibilities (see details below):
- Prepare and upload a PDF file of your poster and a file of your video presentation,
- Evaluate four posters during the one-hour poster session (6-7 pm on December 8),
- Attend the oral presentations remotely (7-8 pm on December 8), and
- Answer questions about your poster presentation from your evaluators and the general audience (8-9 pm on December 8)
1. Presenting your poster: You will be recording a poster presentation that is no more than five minutes long. Please use Zoom screen share to record your presentation to your computer or to the cloud, which can be accessed through the CU Zoom website. Your camera should be turned on so the video captures both the poster and you presenting it. You should inform your instructor of any problems you have with recording your presentation. Your video (.mov and .mp4 files preferred) and poster file must be uploaded to the Google Drive poster and presentation video folders by Friday, December 3 at 5 pm. All posters will be presented individually. For example, if your research project was completed by a group of students, there will be multiple presentations of your poster. Your poster presentation video will be uploaded for you to the CURE Symposium website and will be available to the audience and evaluators during the poster sessions.
2.Evaluating your assigned posters: You will be evaluating four posters produced by students in other research-based courses in MCDB. Your instructor will send you assignments before the Symposium.
If any of the posters you are asked to evaluate is not linked on the CURE Symposium website, choose a different poster to evaluate from the same course. Links to poster videos will be available on the CURE Symposium website.
Evaluation forms can be completed on mobile or PC. Use this link to complete your evaluations.
Listen to the presenter and complete the form including your name, the name of the presenter, and the poster number. Please be thoughtful in your assessment and provide constructive feedback. You are required to provide brief written feedback to justify your scoring. All evaluations become part of the students’ grades. It is not helpful to simply rate everyone’s posters as ‘excellent’ or to provide no feedback explaining your ratings. Your instructor may choose to deduct points from your poster if your submitted evaluations are incomplete. All evaluations must be complete by Friday, December 10 at 12 pm.
3. Attending the oral presentations: The poster session will close at 7 pm. At that time, you will attend the oral presentations remotely via Zoom (link will be provided before December 8). You will be expected to register for the Symposium to receive credit for attending. The oral presentation session will begin promptly at 7 pm. One ten-minute talk for each of the four research-based courses represented at the CURE Symposium will be presented. Five minutes will be allowed for questions after each talk. Please be attentive with your audio muted during the talks. At approximately 8 pm on December 8, following the oral presentations, an awards ceremony will recognize the top poster presentation from each course!
4. Answering questions about your poster: Each evaluator will be asking a question about your presentation in a comment box associated with your presentation video on the Symposium website. Your responses are required before 9 pm on Wednesday, December 8, 2021. Responses will be entered into the comments section of your poster’s page. Instructors will view all comment sections to assess the quality of both questions and the responses.